Hart High School believes that appropriate dress and grooming contribute to a productive learning environment. Students are expected to give proper attention to personal cleanliness and to wear clothes that are suitable for the school activities in which they participate. Students’ appearance must not present a health or safety hazard or a distraction, which would interfere with the educational process.
The following dress code rules shall apply during regular school hours:
- Shoes or sandals are worn at all times.
- Clothing and jewelry shall be free of writing, pictures, or other insignia which are crude, vulgar, profane, or sexually suggestive or which advocate racial or ethnic prejudice or the use of drugs, alcohol or weapons.
- Clothing, which represents any group or philosophy or which advocates violence or disrupts the objectives of school instructional programs, is prohibited.
- Clothing and accessories that depict gang behavior or glorify gang activity are prohibited.
- Clothing may not be inappropriately revealing and must be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times. Examples of inappropriate clothing include halter tops, off-the-shoulder or low cut tops, bare midriffs, short shorts, tube tops, sheer garments, strapless apparel, extremely short skirts, exposed boxer shorts, or sleeveless undershirts.
- Pants must be able to stay up without the use of a belt or suspenders.
- Wallet chains, jewelry, and other clothing with points or spikes are prohibited.
The following rules regarding electronics and personal transportation devices shall apply during regular school hours:
- The student use of electronics is prohibited within the classroom. Electronics includes, but is not limited to, MP3 players, walkmans, PDAs, cell phones, and improperly used calculators.
- The recording of a teacher, staff member, or student, without their consent, is a violation of the California Educational Code. Any student participating in such action will be subject to an appropriate consequence.
- No laser lights of any kind are permitted on campus at any time. Penal Code Section 417.27 prohibits the possession of laser pointers on elementary and secondary campuses.
- Skateboards, in-line skates, scooters, and/or bikes are not permitted on campus at any time.
Violations of the Dress Code or Improper use of Electronics
- School personnel have the responsibility to confiscate electronics when used in the classroom. Skateboards, bikes, scooters, in-line skates, and laser lights may be confiscated at any time.
- Confiscated items, clearly labeled with the name of the owner, should be brought to the office where they will be released to the student or a parent.
- Refer to the discipline matrix for consequences concerning any of the above rule violations.
- Students who refuse to surrender items that are in violation of the dress code will be subject to disciplinary actions for defiance.
- The staff is not responsible for loss or theft of items that are confiscated.